Software Engineering Team Lead
Veygo is one of these new businesses at the forefront of the Mobility as a Service (MaaS) revolution, providing transport solutions for customers with and without cars. We want to make life easier for those wishing to share cars, use their own temporarily, or for learner drivers looking to practice in a family member’s or friends’ car. In short, we want to help people be able to get behind the wheel of a car, even if they don’t own one.
Our journey started in 2016 and it has been a challenging and exciting few years to disrupt the sector and show that tech allows us to provide great products, and in a way that is in line with the modern-day lifestyle. We are building a dynamic and energizing environment where we will provide all the excitement and freedom of a scale-up but with the support and stability of an established large organisation. We treat our colleagues openly, equally, and fairly and give them a ton of opportunity and freedom to do their best work and make a positive impact. We make mistakes because building from scratch is not easy but we are curious about where we get it wrong and we take this learning forward.
Veygo is a company built and owned by Admiral, operating within the Admiral Pioneer business.
All of our engineer team leads are truly full-stack: We have no time for knowledge silos and we do everything we can to make sure our engineers are able to work on anything, and everything. A typical day in engineering can mean creating infrastructure using Terraform, debugging the inner-workings of one of our Python applications or writing a shiny new React component for use in our quote engine.
As an engineering team lead your duties will be a 50/50 split between developing and typical line management responsibilities.
We’re a tech start up, not an established insurance brand - this means the pace is fast, the days are varied, but the work is energetic and very rewarding. Expect to collaborate with other departments across the brand from marketing to customer service, and data to claims.
- Develop backend services, ideally using and
- Develop modern front end apps, ideally using , and
- Deploy your code to production and support it, ideally on
- Champion best practices likeand
- Play an active role in like retrospectives and
- Manage engineers performances and absences, as well as one-to-ones and actively assisting in their personal and educational development
- Manage stakeholder communication
- Report on the relevant engineering KPIs
- Owning various engineering initiatives.
The successful candidate will ideally have:
- 1-2 years experience managing and mentoring people, as well as communicating with stakeholders
- Proven ownerhsip of an engineering initiative
- Excellent communication and organisation skills
- Knowledge in Agile development practices
- Ability to breakdown and solve problems
- Commerical experience with software development of front-end or backend development
- Experience with unit testing
- Experience of using cloud providers
- Commercial experience with data store (SQP/NoSQL) design and development
We do not have a set salary for this position, as it will be dependent on the successful candidate’s experience. We are happy to see CVs from all candidates who meet the requirements and will be happy to discuss the remuneration package.
At Admiral Pioneer, we are proud to be a diverse business where we put our people and customers first. We have great benefits to ensure employees have a great work-life balance; it's one of the reasons why we're consistently voted one of the Sunday Times’ Best Big Companies to work for in the UK. We want you to have an element of freedom to define a working lifestyle that supports this, so accommodate flexible hours wherever possible.